Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lewis

We all are familiar or imagine what prison is supposed to look like. You see people within immense solid concrete walls with steel bars to keep the accused and sentenced. However, there is another kind of prison that’s within the minds of most of us. What this prison looks like is that we are identified with our suffering, our negative past history. Our mind is also hypnotized to follow the crowd to chase after the imaginary good things that’ll give us temporarily pleasures that don’t last very long; unfortunately, we continue to follow the shadows of what is true happiness.
    The goal and purpose is to realize that we live in this prison and there must be a desire within us to find a way out. I found that the movie “Shaw-Shank-Redemption” is a classic example of how inmates becomes so identifies with their prison home that they get so use to it they fear of leaving. Andy, the main character saw himself a free man and didn’t’ identify with his prison environment and found a way out. You must want a way out in a desperate way; otherwise, you’ll remain stuck in your imagination and fantasy world which has become your prison.
    Lewis

Mary Acosta

Mr. Lewis,
    I don’t think you have it right. I feel free and I don’t see what you mean by my being in prison. Please explain.
    Thanks,
    Mary

Mary Acosta

Hello Mary,
    I saw a movie called “The Prince of Tides” with Barbara Streisand and Nick Nolte. Barbara plays a Psychologist who wants to help a patient who tried to commit suicide. She hasn’t made much progress and realizes that in order to help her patient the doctor must ask help from her patient’s family.

There is a terrible family secrete the family is holding onto and they resist to help and expose the truth of what may be the root cause of her patient’s psychological problem. This is an example of being held hostage to past abuse and trauma. Our mind is a precious thing; however, to undock its power and face reality we have to look into the prison of our stored memory. Most of us live from our past hurts and pain and we are really not living: this is prison.
    Part of how we work is to work with the tools of Spinoza and Gurdjieff on how to see and free ourselves from our past and ultimately embrace the moment, the now.
    Lewis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.