Home Page Forum Discussion Way of Spinoza Forum Spinoza and Free Will

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lewis
    Keymaster

Vicki asked what does Spinoza mean that we do not have free will?

I thought that was a great and a very advanced question. Very few people ask that kind of question. Throughout Spinoza’s Ethics he explains the laws that manifest from nature or God. Now, Spinoza’s God is not a personal or an anthropomorphic Being. Spinoza’s God is Nature and nature expresses laws that direct the whole universe. There are 5 specific laws that influence mankind and all living organic things or matter. These laws are the following: the law of necessity, the law of self-preservation, the law of inertia, and the law of following the path of least resistance. Spinoza explains that we are aware of our desires and reactions, and how they determine our existence, but ignorant of the actual causes of them. Therefore, free will is an illusion. It is impossible to grasp this concept without intuition or reason.

Example: I will give you a situation that you can relate to. You are driving on the freeway going 65 miles per hour and someone is tailgating you. They flash their lights demanding that you move over. You will automatically become angry; you did not choose to be angry. Anger is your way of dealing with the situation, and there are other emotions that will be triggered. This all happens necessarily, and you are preserving your existence the best you can.

I wrote a book: “The Way of Spinoza and Gurdjieff” that will explain in more detail how to understand your emotions and become free of them. Go to the “Resource” tab and scroll down and you’ll find it. If you have any questions, please email me.

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by Lewis.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.