Home Page Forum Discussion Way of Spinoza Forum Spinoza the Athiest?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dave

It’s easy to see Spinoza as a Pantheist – or maybe even an atheist. He certainly didn’t believe in a personal God – did he?

Lewis

Hello Dave,
    I appreciate such a good question. The more I study Spinoza the more I see that Spinoza is truly a God intoxicated Man. Throughout the ‘Ethics’ Spinoza clearly explains the nature of God and how His nature is manifested in the form of ‘Attributes’ such as “Thought and Extension.” This may seem confusing; however, if you apply your mind you’ll begin to find the ‘Ethics’ very challenging and informative.
    Lewis

Lewis

Dave, I want to add, yes, Spinoza did not see God as a personal God. He saw and understood that God’s nature is manifested in the form of laws through His attributes such as “Thought and Extension” which make up the whole universe and the intangible called the thinking “Mind.” This concept is so difficult to understand because it’s so against conventional and traditional dogma which imagines that God is a king on a throne dispensing praise and punishments.
    Lewis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.