Home Page Forum Discussion Way of Spinoza Forum What are mental Buffers?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gregg Martin

Lewis,
    In the book “In Search of the Miraculous” Ouspensky talks about buffers preventing us from seeing reality can you explain?
    Gregg

Lewis

Hello Gregg,

Buffers are similar to blinders or scatoma’s it’s nature’s way of helping us keep away from seeing the causes of our suffering and emotional pain. To see how buffers work and protect us: I recommend a movie called “The Prince of Tides” which you can see on Neflex, with Barbara Streisand and Nick Nolte. This movie is an excellent example of the consequences of the buffering mechanism in action. Buffers are developed early on from childhood trauma; such as physical and psychological abuse, rape, and neglect, etc.

The work that we do is to develop courage so that we are able to study our nature and face the realities of what is really going on, that is, the root causes that are triggering our feelings of inadequacy. This is not easy to do it’s so easy to pretend that all is well. We all hide our suffering from one another. True understanding and spiritual development comes about when we are ready to see and face our nature. In this process of self-examination and understanding we build strength of mind and a new sense of ‘Self’ is created. It’s in this new sense of ‘Self’ that will take us on the path towards freedom.
    Lewis

Gregg Martin

Dear Lewis,
    I think I understand what you’re driving at. I take a look at the film you recommend
    Thanks,
    Gregg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.